Saturday, August 28, 2010

8/27 Post Game Therapy

I went to the game last night.

The only thing I have to say about what went on between the white lines is: Big Game Tommy Hunter and, to quote Ron Washington, "I'm all worded out" about Josh Hamilton.

Chuck Greenberg is right about the sleeping giant, but I think he's starting to wake up already, here's how I know:

--- on a High School Football Friday Night in Texas - there were still more than 30,000 fans in the stands  to see the Oakland A's (one of the worst road team draws).

--- every time Josh Hamilton did something amazing (again) there was a spontaneous chant of MVP that got louder each time and was not prompted by anything on the scoreboard. Anytime there are chants not prompted by the scoreboard - it's a sure sign the local casual fans are becoming baseball fans.

--- at the end of the game when Chuck Morgan read off the stats of the winning pitcher - Tommy Hunter - the crowd cheered, they were cheering instead of heading for the exits - of course fireworks had somethng to do with that.  But I've been there on a fireworks night when the Rangers won, and I'm pretty sure I never heard anyone cheer the name of the winning pitcher after the game.

I'm almost a believer -- Marla Hooch

P.S. Since I had a nice seat, I took a few pictures.  Some of them are on TR Sullivan's blog today with a lovely poetic accompaniment.  The rest are here in my photo gallery.
.

No comments: