Monday, February 1, 2010

What You Didn't See On Sunday....

If you got an automated e-mail from this site showing a link to the story on Sunday, I apologize, I had blog entry up for a short time on Sunday night about the Ranger events from last weekend – I had to delete it – long story not worth the time and bandwith to explain.

There are several good wrap-up’s of the weekend events online – I’d recommend you read Grant Schiller’s and Jamey Newberg’s.

Here are just a couple of things I want to add:

Friday night’s banquet was very nice, the food was good (Grant really liked the dinner rolls) and the Omni Hotel is beautiful. I was very disappointed that the Rangers decided to go back to having all the players at a head table set away from the fans. The past couple of years they’ve had players, team officials and other Ranger related personnel seated at each table with the fans. My perception is that many season ticket holders attend the banquet every year, and if the Rangers are really committed to being fan-friendly I think this is the group they need to start with. I think most fans understand that the big corporate sponsors will get Michael Young, Ian Kinsler and Josh Hamilton at their table – however, I do think the fans who attend the event really enjoy having anyone connected with the Rangers (minor league players, Ranger alumni, media types, coaches) at their table.

Saturday’s Newberg Booth at Fan Fest, although a bit cold was as always terrific. I’ll admit I was a bit miffed when the Sports Service guy came in and turned off the space heaters in our area in the middle of one of our autograph sessions – saying that was uncool is probably a bit of an understatement. The players who signed with us were gracious, humorous and all of them were great with the fans. You can see my pictures of all them using the link in the entry below this one.

Just a couple of other random baseball thoughts:

Jim Reeves is only semi-retired (thank goodness) he’s writing occasionally for Dallas ESPN.com – his column on Tom Hicks is absolutely on target.

I was trying to program my new DVR yesterday and ran across the NFL Pro-Bowl, and I have to ask – why are fans so worked up the record holders in baseball using steroids, but you don’t hear anyone ranting about the same for football? You can’t tell me that those players aren’t using some kind of PED’s – so aren’t their records just as tainted, or don’t football fans care about that?

Finally – a few words about February from Whitey Herzog:

“You sweat out the free agent thing in November then you make the trades in December. Then you struggle to sign the guys left in January. In February I finally get down to sewing all the new numbers on the uniforms. “


Grant – would you like another dinner roll? – Marla Hooch

.

No comments: