Monday, February 22, 2010

30 Years Ago Today....I Believed In Miracles

It was a Friday night after work. I watched the tape delay of this game, as did all of the US on ABC.  I knew how it ended because Verne Lundquist said very simply at the end of his 6:00 p.m. sportscast that night - "They did it!"

There was a good article by Joe Posnanski on the Sports Illustrated website today.

This is the last paragraph from that article, Al Michaels talking about enduring effect of that game and his legendary call, the last line is absolutely perfect.

"It's interesting, Michaels says he never gets tired of people coming up to him to talk about that call or that game. He never tires of hearing people say where they were when they heard the call. I was in our TV room, my father was on the couch, my mother was out playing cards. I remember jumping up and down when Eruzione scored the game-winner... and I suspect that was the first hockey game I had watched, beginning to end, on television (I did go to a Cleveland Barons game once). Of course, it was the first hockey game that many Americans had seen.

" 'That was the beauty of that game,' Michaels says. 'You didn't have to understand to understand.' "
I understood - - Marla Hooch

P.S. Did you know that the current coach of the USA Women's Hockey, Mark Johnson is a member of the 1980 US Olympic Hockey Team?

No comments: