Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Respice Stella, Voca Mariam

At one point in the movie "The Big Chill” Michael the writer (played by Jeff Goldblum) is asked what he’s going to write about, he says “this weekend” and then what will he write about after that ?“ last weekend” is his response. The spirit of The Big Chill and Jeff’s dialogue are exactly what I’m writing about tonight. Baseball can wait, I’m going to Seattle to watch the Rangers final three games this weekend and I’ll have plenty to write about next week. Today I’m writing about “last weekend”

Change is inevitable. As John Lennon wrote “There are places I remember all my life, but some have changed. Some forever not for better, some have gone and some remain.” I don’t go back to Cleveland as much as I’d like – no make that as much as a I should. Driving around the old stomping grounds was bittersweet – there’s Subway now where we used to walk up to Lo Paro’s Pizza on Cedar, the I-Hop on Mayfield has been replaced by a Mr. Tire and down the street Spotty’s is now a Phoenix Coffee Shop. The apple orchard next to the college driveway is gone, there’s a Starbuck’s in the library and Harks Hall is a men’s dorm.

But then again, not all changes are for the worse. I’ve heard that some of the NDC alum have stopped donating and attending events because the college went co-ed. All I have to say to these women is – shame on you.

Everyone knew NDC couldn’t survive as an all women’s college. There’s no reason to go into detail about that now – the change was made. I’m happy to report that even though there are very few Sisters of Notre Dame teaching on campus, and yes there are men, computers and athletics – the spirit of NDC remains intact, here’s how I found out. During the Friday night Clambake for the Student and Alumni: Fran, Maui, Schos and I (aka Mrs. B) wandered over to our old dorm - which we will always call Alumnae Hall no matter what the sign says now. We met up with some freshmen living on the first floor who were happy to show us their room. We talked about old times and about the new times too with these lovely girls – during the course of the conversations, I heard one of them say to her roommate “I hope that’s us in 30 years”. Then I knew that whatever else had changed on the campus on College Road - the spirit of the college we love is still the same.

When I was at NDC we used to have a saying that we couldn’t wait to graduate and go to a real college. Well, guess what – NDC is a real college now – it is more vibrant and alive than I’ve ever seen it. The young women and the young men who are enrolled there now are in the best tradition of Notre Dame College and all of its alumni. As the one of the sages of my era, Pete Townshend said “the kids are all right” and so is my beloved college.

It was so great to see everyone again – here’s a link to the pictures I took during the weekend -- that means you click on the word link Maureen and it will take you to the pictures (just kidding – sort of)

Sons and daughters of Our Lady,
’Neath your banner, Notre Dame,
We will pledge devout allegiance
To the College of your name.
We will strive for what you stand for,
We will prove our filial love,
Alma Mater, hear our voices,Which we raise to you above,
Alma Mater, hear our voices,Which we raise to you above

-- Marla Hooch (aka Mr. B aka Eleanor Czajka '79)

No comments: