Wednesday, April 10, 2024

*Tap*Tap*Tap* Is this thing on?


Hmm, let’s see a lot has happened in the 11+ years since my last blog post:  blogs are out, podcasts are in – no I will never bore you with a podcast.  Our friend TR Sullivan retired,  the Fort Worth Star Telegram retired from baseball too (no more beat writer or daily coverage) The Athletic retired from baseball (well, their coverage has shrunk considerably to be borderline not worth it). The Astros cheated, Vin Scully, Hank Aaron, Charlie Pride and two of my dearest DTFCer’s left us.  Mr. Sterling crossed the Rainbow Bridge.  We spent 2 years at home looking out the window worrying, then returned to a world that had been drastically altered.  We’re done with Twitter, over saturated with Tik Tok, fake news is now real news, opinion overrides facts. The earth got a lot warmer and its inhabitants a lot meaner.

 But it wasn’t all bad:  Prince Louis now rules my household, the Rangers built an indoor palace where they play (no more horrible hot evenings in the park during June-July-August).  “Ted Lasso” was great (no matter what a particular Ranger fan says) “Hamilton” was pretty good too. The pitch clock, the end of the “shift” and fewer pitching changes (yes, I like them all). That eclipse on April 8th was pretty spectacular too.

Most importantly: on November 1st  2023, I cried my eyes out and literally jumped for joy, because as Eric Nadel so eloquently stated “may the ghosts of 2011 be forever erased” – and they were when the Rangers, finally, won the World Series.

 In the “church of baseball” that Annie Savoy and I belong to: it was a baseball miracle. 

What happens next?  Right now, I don’t care, as one of our Ranger baseball guru’s stated:  The Rangers can’t hurt me anymore.  

 (Okay, but I still get upset when the Rangers lose to the The Lyin’ Cheatin’ Astros.)

 -- Marla Hooch (redux)



1 comment:

Lynda B said...

Welcome back Marla! But losing two DTFCers? Jake and ?? I'm way behind the times.