Wednesday, April 17, 2024

Back To The Future

 I heard a very interesting proverb this past weekend:

 “Expectations are resentments waiting to happen”

 Funny thing, expectations.  Last year I had no expectations for the Rangers.  After enduing  yet another long dry spell of losing (which happened in the 80’s, early 90’s, early 2000’s - that's a lot) , I’d have been happy with a .500 team – and look what happened: The Texas Rangers won the 2023 World Series.

If I had anything to complain about that team, November 1st, changed it all and I’ll love all of those guys till the day I die.

 Even the most loyal, optimistic fan (which is not always me) has to admit that everything, and I mean everything went right for the Rangers to achieve their championship.   In fact, I think most fans of any team that wins the World Series would agree:  the talent plays a big part but baseball luck plays role in it too. (Did you really at any point think the  Ranger bullpen was going to be that reliable in the post season?)

 This year, things are different – not bad, not good – just different.  Watching this team right now makes me wonder if the 2024 Ranger team is the one we were supposed to see last year. They are a much improved team over, 2017, 2018, 2019 etc. – you get the picture. 

 Their offense in 2023 for most of the season was other worldly – any expectation (there’s that word again) that it would be the same this season was, um, irrational.  This year, when you are counting on 2 rookies and 1 MIA as 1/3 of your line-up it will be roller coaster.  Most rookies, including some who eventually become very good players, will have their struggles adjusting to the major leagues.   Evan Carter didn’t have those problems in September, but now – it’s a different story:  .211 BA/.752 OPS (which is actually pretty good – because he takes almost as many BB’s as K’s). Then there’s the other Little Savior Part 2 – Wyatt Langford - .255 BA/.655 OPS – with twice as man K’s at BB’s that’s just plain yuck.  And, of course, there is the permanent roller coaster at third base – that I already wrote about in a previous post.  By the way is anyone else wondering about Cory Seager in day games: 3 for 20 (.150)?

 Along with the mighty offense in 2023 the Rangers didn’t make a lot of mistakes. They were first in team defense in the AL.  Right now they are 5th – which is good but does mean they aren’t as sharp, which means more unearned runs which doesn’t help the pitching staff which leads me to our least favorite subject: pitching.

 Drafting, developing, keeping healthy, and putting together a solid starting 5 and reliable bullpen.  Pitching,  it’s by far the Rangers worst problem – as it was, as it is and as it will ever be, Amen.

 Do I think the Rangers are a playoff team in 2024 – looking at the rest of the AL West so far, I’d have to say yes.  Do I want them to win the World Series again? Well, of course I do. Do I think they’ll win the World Series in 2024 – probably not.  But if they keep Houston from winning the World Series by eliminating them in the division or in the playoffs that will be as good another World Series win this year for me

 --- The Eternal Marla

 P.S. Hey Houston, that expensive bullpen – what’s up with that?  (A nod to the perennially underrated Keenan Thompson)

No comments: